Sunday, May 13, 2012

Mother's Day

3 Reasons Why I Love My Mom

Her Constant Support 

My mom is my #1 fan. I've known this since I was young and have never questioned it. She has always encouraged me to develop my talents (even if there were none) and always encouraged me to try everything even though it made her life so much more hectic. She raised seven very active children and it would have been easy for her to limit our activities for her convenience but she never did. Even when I wanted to quit certain sports or activities, she would politely remind me that we aren't quitters and encourage me to try harder to get over my frustration. I will always remember playing basketball and hearing my mom yell from the bleachers (at the quietest moment in order to be heard by everyone) "Brad! Brad! He's our man! If he can't do it no one can!" I used to act so embarrassed by it but I secretly loved it. I still find myself saying it sometimes when I need a boost of confidence.

Side note: I was so bad at basketball when I was younger that we generally came to the conclusion that no one could successfully play basketball)

She Has Taught Me

I have never questioned that my mom loves me. I have always known that I was her special guy (sorry Bryan) but even though she has always loved me unconditionally, that didn't mean that I could do no wrong. She has always been quick to point out my weaknesses or correct my often poor behavior. If I was ever talking back or not treating my sisters with respect, she made sure that I knew that that was not ok. Knowing that she loved me, I always knew that her discipline was out of love and intended to make me a better person. I am so thankful for the way mom has shaped me into the person I am. Had she not loved me enough to discipline me at times, I would have never learned a lot of valuable traits that I needed.

She Exemplifies Everything a Mother Should Be 

A lot of people say that their mom is their best friend. I wouldn't say that. Not that I don't consider her my best friend at times, I would just never limit her to one role. My mom is my best friend when I need support, but also my worst enemy when I am not behaving as I should. She knows when to give advice and act as a mentor, but she also knows when to let me make my own decisions. She is my spiritual leader and is constantly reminding me to live up to sacred covenants and my church responsibilities.  My mom fills so many roles in my life and is always there to help no matter what the situation is.  Having such a strong mom in my life has been such a blessing.  Thank you so much for everything.  Happy Mother's Day.  I love you mom.


5 comments:

  1. Just three reasons? Funny, mine had ten... Haha jk. That was really good brad you're such a tender heart

    ReplyDelete
  2. No wonder she loves you the most. You were the cutest little baby boy ever! And there is just something about those baby boys. You just can't help but love them.

    I am also getting the strong sense from your post that, if it weren't so much focused on complimenting mom, the theme might be something to the tune of "you turned out really crappy because your mom told you you were awesome one too many times." That about sums it up right?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Man, I love my kids!!! Thank you Brad. Best gift ever!!!

    ReplyDelete