Thursday, October 13, 2011

My Name Is Brad and Apparently I'm Not A Christian

There has been a lot of discussion lately about whether Mormons are Christians.  I would like to share some of my thoughts on the subject.


This argument is not something new.  Ever since the church started, there has been debates on whether Mormonism is considered "Christian."  


I use quotation marks when saying Christian because there are different definitions for that term which is causing this debate.  One definition, which is the one most often used by our critics, is somebody who believes in traditional christian beliefs.  Let's talk about one of those traditional christian beliefs now.  


It seems to me, the first and most important religious question is, "who is God?"  At this first important question Mormonism and Traditional Christianity differ.  The traditional Christian belief in God is in the Trinity, meaning that God, Jesus Christ, and the Holy Ghost are all one being.  It is described like this:


We worship one God in Trinity and Trinity in Unity. Neither confounding the Persons, nor dividing the Substance. For there is one Person of the Father, another of the Son, and another of the Holy Ghost. But the Godhead of the Father, of the Son and of the Holy Ghostis all One, the Glory Equal, the Majesty Co-Eternal. Such as the Father is, such is the Son, and such is the Holy Ghost. The Father Uncreate, the Son Uncreate, and the Holy Ghost Uncreate. The Father Incomprehensible, the Son Incomprehensible, and the Holy Ghost Incomprehensible. The Father Eternal, the Son Eternal, and the Holy Ghost Eternal and yet they are not Three Eternals but One Eternal. As also there are not Three Uncreated, nor Three Incomprehensibles, but One Uncreated, and One Uncomprehensible. So likewise the Father is Almighty, the Son Almighty, and the Holy Ghost Almighty. And yet they are not Three Almighties but One Almighty.


One of my favorite quotes comes from James E. Talmage in The Articles of Faith.  When referring to this definition of God he says, "It would be difficult to conceive of a greater number of inconsistencies and contradictions, expressed in words as few."


Now it is niether James nor my desire to demean anyone's faith in God, we just want to show that this explanation of God by traditional Christianity is not only flawed, but also limits our relationship with Him.  


John 17:3 says, "And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent."  According to this scripture, we can know God.  How are we supposed to know God when he is incomprehensible?  


The belief in the Trinity is one traditional Christian belief that I do not agree with.  I believe that God, Jesus Christ, and the Holy Ghost are three separate beings.  I believe that God has a body of flesh and bone, and I can develop a relationship with him just like I can with my earthly father.  I know who God is, and calling Him incomprehensible would deny the relationship that I have spent most of my life building with Him.  


Now there is another definition for what is Christian, which is anyone who follows the teachings and example of Jesus Christ.  When I say I am Christian, this is the definition I am referring to.  To explain Mormons' beliefs in Jesus Christ I will use a quote from Jeffrey R. Holland, an apostle in the Mormon church.


"I testify that Jesus Christ is the literal, living Son of our literal, living God. This Jesus is our Savior and Redeemer who, under the guidance of the Father, was the Creator of heaven and earth and all things that in them are. I bear witness that He was born of a virgin mother, that in His lifetime He performed mighty miracles observed by legions of His disciples and by His enemies as well. I testify that He had power over death because He was divine but that He willingly subjected Himself to death for our sake because for a period of time He was also mortal. I declare that in His willing submission to death He took upon Himself the sins of the world, paying an infinite price for every sorrow and sickness, every heartache and unhappiness from Adam to the end of the world. In doing so He conquered both the grave physically and hell spiritually and set the human family free. I bear witness that He was literally resurrected from the tomb and, after ascending to His Father to complete the process of that Resurrection, He appeared, repeatedly, to hundreds of disciples in the Old World and in the New. I know He is the Holy One of Israel, the Messiah who will one day come again in final glory, to reign on earth as Lord of lords and King of kings. I know that there is no other name given under heaven whereby a man can be saved and that only by relying wholly upon His merits, mercy, and everlasting grace can we gain eternal life."


Now if someone who professes faith in Christ like that isn't considered a Christian, then something is clearly wrong.


I don't consider myself on the same level as Elder Holland, but just like him, I try my best to follow the teaching and examples of the Savior.  I know that Christ is my Redeemer, and the only way I can return to live with my Heavenly Father.  I strive to live by His teachings everyday, and look to Him for forgiveness when I come up short.  In Christ's gospel, I have found peace and happiness that continue to bless my life everyday.  


If you do not consider me a Christian because I do not agree with your theology, then that is fine.  You can call me whatever you want.  But do not tell me, and millions of other faithful people  that we are not followers of Christ.  That kind of judgement is actually very unchristian.  

2 comments:

  1. "are all of your wives Christian too?"

    -- same person who asked if you're Christian

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jared always cracks me up! Well said, Brad. Bravo! I think I may have to repost that to mine as well. Now, I just have to figure out how...

    ReplyDelete